Now, I'm married to a hard worker. For instance, this past Saturday in ungodly heat he spent all day outside cleaning out my flower beds, putting down new mulch, hoeing and weeding the garden and cleaning out all of our gutters. I like to think I helped but let's face it, I can bend down or I can breathe. These are the choices I have. But I am a champion at bringing more water, running to get Gatorade or dragging the tarp around while he drops fifteen trees worth of leaves out of our gutters all while fighting off vicious sweat bee attacks. Literally there is no one better at these things than me. BUT getting things done isn't where he gets his energy. He's a people person and an extrovert and he's constantly talking about getting together with people, something I struggle to understand. I always want things to be just us and create you know those special romantical memories... he always wants to invite people along on my big romantic plans. It's comical and it took us a while to understand the perspective of the other person.
Cut to this past Sunday and something I completely understand - after church he set out on a golfing adventure and I had the house all to myself with no one around to judge my OCD tendancies... this is what dreams are made of! I organized, steam cleaned carpets, organized some more, washed every baby item we have, spent a solid hour smelling the tiny clean baby clothes, threw away about four bags of junk all while jamming to some serious hip hop. This is what I understand, I love it. I mean I love people and all but my life being clean and organized is where it's at for me. So sad, I know.
I have told him that I want to prioritize relationships better. Isn't that what life is about? Sometimes in our busy lives we find ourselves saying we're too busy to get together or too busy to come by. I want to see past the busy and into the eternal things.
I think we both struggle with not having close friends in our area that are into the same activities that we are. We have amazing friends but not nearly enough and none that truly want to go camp with us or kayak with us or fish with us that are somewhere nearby. I think it wears on us both sometimes but him so much more. SO, I am going to try to look past some of the "things" that I "have" to do and look for ways to create those times where he gets his extrovert fix. My sister is an extrovert and literally describes it as a high.... I may never understand these people!
So how did two people so different end up together? I have no idea, I think God thought it would be fun to match a roller coaster (take a shot in the dark here, it's me) with a pacemaker. Truly nothing rattles him and he never misses a beat. Nothing gets him so excited he's a jumping screaming mess (although let's be honest I don't think I would be okay with that!), gives him insane road rage, makes him ready to fight, or even comes close to shaking his solid easy-come-easy-go personality. Take all the exact opposite of that and you've got me. So here we are, my feet firmly planted in introvert land, him this crazy people person. Me all dramatic and crazy and him all calm and laid back. Me with all my to-do lists and him with a total live in the moment philosophy. And I have to say, it works.
Somehow in over three and a half years we've learned things from each other that we couldn't have learned any other way. He has helped change me for the better and I hope that I have helped share some of my good qualities.
For a couple that everyone always says we "go togther" or we're "perfect for each other" while we share so many of the same passions and interests at our core we couldn't be much more different. There's no one else I would rather be exact opposites with.
No comments:
Post a Comment